Thursday, August 4, 2011

Question

I was asked an interesting question tonight:
"Do you like where you are going?"
I stared blankly, the answer to the question in my mind was, 'Where am I going?'
"Do you like what life has shown you so far?"
'Yeah... Yeah, I do,' was my answer. It felt good at the time of answering the question. After all, this is what I felt, this is what I said. It is a good question though, and almost immediately afterwards, looking back, it felt as though that question needed to be asked. The question is entirely personal, and should be asked more often. Maybe it was situation, he only asked it because I had a smile on my face, but still, there have been questions that have changed my life, and this I think is one of them.
The usual question is, 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' I can see as a teacher why it might be useful, getting to know the students.
Questions I have found to be incredibly useful in life, although I may have annoyed some people or have been some sort of thorn on their back through the incessant questions I have asked, I do feel like each one has been useful in becoming closer to that very person.
A question implies learning, curiosity, wonder. As an experienced question asker, I find that excessive questions will make people a little P'O'ed, or at least it seems that way by the look on their face. So, sometimes, I make a brain agreement not to ask any questions, but only to say statements, exclaim things, yell, whisper, say anything, except no questions. This soon ends and I find that during that small period of time I think of myself as a total doosch.
But oh well,I just thought I'd exclaim the beauty of the "question" as they did in Junior High with posters of Einstein.Conclusion: It is incredibly important for humanity to ask questions, regardless of what words are contained.

No comments:

Post a Comment